Following are the most common types of user stories used in the industry:
- Regular User Story: A typical user story written around a functional or non-functional requirement which can be completed in one iteration(sprint). It can be written by anybody in the team but defined and prioritized by the Product owner.
- Technical Debt Story: Normally developed by technical staff and is used to address accumulated technical debt (refactoring, new approach, incomplete implementation, etc.)
- Spike Story: A research user story to gain knowledge about the unknowns in a new piece of functionality before creating regular user stories for implementation. It always carries 0 story points but carries hour estimates to quantify the effort spent on it.
- Research Story: It’s is a story with 0 story points to gain Broad, foundational knowledge about a new requirement which may lead to multiple user stories.
- Tracer Bullet Story: A very narrow but deep implementation (aka “slice”) of production quality. Also called proof of concept(POC). May contain very little story points.
Like my blog?