Scrum Master is one of the 3 scrum roles and the characteristics of an ideal Scrum Master are as follows:
- Ensures the team is completely functional and productive
- Helps the team to organize its work by keeping them focused on the sprint goals.
- Leads the team through conflicts
- Removes impediments for the team
- Fosters the team on the path of continuous improvement
- Protects the team from external disturbances so they can focus on their goals and commitments
- Helps the team become self organizing by empowering the team members
- Creates transparency by keeping the scrum artifacts visible to the team and the stakeholders.
- Creates and manages matrices like burndowns and burnups for the stakeholders’ and team’s reference.
- Takes care of the Scrum Process by facilitating scrum ceremonies like Daily scrum, demos, sprint planning and sprint retrospectives
- Makes sure agile ideas are understood and respected by all stakeholders, PO and organization
- Moderator, Trainer, Mentor and Mediator for the team.
Keys to a successful Scrum Master:
- Should have a servant’s heart to be ready to help the team in any way possible to make them move forward
- Should not act as the team’s manager but a leader and a facilitator
- Should be an expert on Scrum
- Has decision making authority
- Actively involved in setting goals for the team including release goals and sprint goals.
Like my blog?